Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Expectations on females..

Obviously Jordan is a country which contains a deep culture, and a strong religion. As much beauty as this brings, it also brings stress and pressure to levels which are sometimes unbearable.

I am still not sure if this is a bad thing or a good thing. For a while I really appreciated it, thought it kept someone on the right track, taught some1 respect for themselves, but lately I think I am changing my mind… I think, like most things in this country, it is taken to an extreme..

When you put limitations and restrictions on things, you sometimes make them worse than they are. I see my American friends putting up pictures of themselves in bathing suits.. they’re beautiful.. never once did I lose respect for them because of these pictures.. seeing the comments underneath, there is no1 referring to them in a negative way, or a disrespectful way.. its normal!! .. nothing strange.. nothing bad AT ALL.. in Jordan on the other hand, you can see a picture of a girl with a turtleneck.. showing NOTHING.. and theres 50 comments underneath from guys talking about how sexy/hot/etc. she is! THERE is the disrespect.. so mayb it is not the picture.. or what is shown/not shown in the picture but it is the culture and the taboo we put on looking at girls in such a way here that makes guys want to do it more…

Girls and boys start dating usually around the age of 15 I guess, in most if not all cultures.. some start a lot younger and some start a lot later but I think that is about average.. is there something wrong with that? In America it is very normal for your mom to take a picture of you kissing your boyfriend to show everyone how “cute you guys are together”.. it isn’t something to be ashamed of.. holding hands in public.. hugging.. cuddling on the couch with friends around and your parents walking in and out while watching tv isn’t a problem at all.. in Jordan if you are known as a girl who once had a boyfriend your labeled as “not decent”.. let alone do ANYTHING in public.. it is extremely rare to see any of that affection.. and its something I really miss.. seeing the openness and comfortableness of people in the streets.. sometimes its nice 2 hold hands.. and cuddle on a couch.. even if just with a friend and not a boyfriend at all (I don’t think that could ever really be possible here!!!!)... of course there are some exceptions...

I guess its another one of those things that I think people here need to relax about.. and after writing this and rereading it 10 times I have officially decided that I do not agree with the way it is done here! Kissing and cuddling and bathing suits are things that I support =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

..Comments..

 

yasmin lawsuit